Tuesday, April 26, 2011

One of the Greatest Guys in the World


I decided, since we only have a year left here in Cleveland, that I should write about the wonderful people we have met. Today, I'm going to start with this awesome young man, Leonard Tarver.

One Sunday, the missionaries called us and asked us to pick up someone who was interested in going to our church. We said we would. We got to his house and when Leonard walked out, I looked at him then at our car, and back to him.

"I don't think he's going to fit", I said while scooting my seat up as far as I could. I said hello with my knees under my chin. Leonard is about 10 feet tall. Just kidding, he only seems that tall. He's about 6'7". He got in the car and right away, I knew this was somebody special.

Leonard with Elder Jensen and Elder Saxton, the best missionaries ever, (I'll talk about those two later) on his baptism day.

Leonard got baptized not long after he was introduced to the LDS church. He has lived his testimony to the utmost, and is such an amazing example. He told us that he was invited to try out for the Cleveland Cavaliers recruitment team. He was so excited. He found out the try-outs were going to be held on a Sunday. He knew that he would be compromising his beliefs and faith if he were to go through with it, so he decided not to try out. That is tremendous faith in action. I get choked up whenever I think about that.


He moved to Pittsburgh a few months ago, and we have missed him so much. He was in church last Sunday and it was really good to see him. He gave me a big hug (I hugged his waist). That made me so happy. He's preparing to go on a mission now. He's 25, so that is quite a sacrafice for him to leave. He's so kind and thoughtful. And he's funny. I wish him all the best. He deserves it. Seriously.

4 comments:

Janelle said...

I was excited to see him at church, too -- wearing a suit and everything!

Marilyn said...

This guy is seriously awesome! He will make such an awesome missionary!

Tawnya and Gavin Linsley said...

that is so awesome!Gavin served his mission in clevland so he is so happy for those missionaries!

em said...

Ahhh, I'm crying. I love this post! I didn't know Leonard was planning on serving a mission! He will be the best missionary, he is a special guy.