Monday, May 2, 2011

An Update and My Thoughts

Talking to Kelly makes me very happy. I'm grateful that she and Andrew are safe. Have I mentioned that yet? I've come to understand something. Heavenly Father blesses us in ways we don't understand. In talking with her, I can hear things she hasn't said. "Why would God save our apartment and our things and leave our friends and others with nothing?" That would be my thoughts as well. But, I think I have a portion of the answer. Kelly and Andrew have opened their home to their friends. They have fed them, sheltered them, and have been able to help them clean up and salvage what they can. That, I think, is a tremendous thing. They are both very service oriented people. They think of others before themselves. Heavenly Father has given them the opportunity to serve in a very unique way. They have been working very hard all day everyday since the tornado. They are tired. Kelly said that she just wishes she could be studying and taking her finals. I'm sure she never thought she would say that. She said she never wants to do this again. Who would? But, she said it's been amazing seeing all of the kind acts around her. People have come in from serveral different states to volunteer to help. Volunteers at the hospitals have been turned away because they were already full. Kelly and a friend were walking down the street to get something to eat and a man in a truck stopped and gave them each two big bags of groceries.
I know events such as these can bring out the good and the bad in people, but it's so wonderful to see how much good can come of it. What I see is mostly good. I'm so grateful for people who give of themselves without even thinking about it. It's a wonderful thing.

Speaking of giving of themselves, our troops made an interesting discovery yesterday. And they shot and killed that discovery. Osama bin Ladan. The very name makes me cringe. He was the mastermind behind the 9/11 attacks, and many many other horrific things. He's been elusive for the past ten years, hiding in caves and such. But we caught him. Now he's dead. The president gave a speach last night giving the details of how it happened. Apparently he was the one to find him. He was the one who risked his life going to the place Osama was hidden and he was the one who pulled the trigger. Not really. That's just the way he made it seem. I'm glad that terrorist has finally been delt with, but the way Obama seemed to take credit for the whole thing just disgusted me. His approval rating has been dropping and I can't help but wonder if he's using this as a way to boost that. In fact, I don't wonder at all. That's exactly what he's doing. I know that it takes the permission of the Cheif to execute a military plan, but he kept saying "I", not "we". I'm so thankful for the many people who have given their lives in the fight against terrorism and who have been diligent and patriotic. I just wish we had a president who was made from the same stock as they. He did thank the troops and their families for their sacrifice, but it was tainted in my mind. If he wasn't so bent on getting his ratings up, it would have been a really nice speech. As you can see, I'm not particularly a fan of Mr. President.

Despite all of that, it's a good day. One of the most evil and vile people on earth has been killed.

"I've never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure". -Mark Twain

4 comments:

Jaclyn said...

I agree. I despise our president. I really hope that people remember that he wanted to pull all the troops out, that this isn't his victory, but Bush's. On another note, I think kelly is so blessed to be able to serve in the capacity she is. It makes me think of 9/11 and how for a short time everyone was so friendly and giving. It's sad that tragedy is what brings it out of some people. Thankfully kelly is not that way, she is already a very giving, loving person.

richelle said...

What a great post! Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts. You are awesome!

Julie Carlile said...

I had no idea it was such a big twister. I am so glad they are both ok. How scary though!

Kellie said...

I think you are right. Heavenly Father knew exactly what he was doing when he saved Kelly and Andrew. He knew they would save others.

And you know how I feel about Obama :/