Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Musings of an introspective girl

I was reading the news today before work and, as always when I read the news, I got a little scared about the economy, the future of this great country, and about our future after school and such. I felt quite debilitated. As I was feeling these feelings, I remembered something I read in a blog. This blog is one that I stumbled across from another friends blog. The woman who keeps up this blog doesn't know me. Her blog is probably the best one I've ever read. I love it, it's like reading an on-going book. And the photography is amazing:). In one of her entries, she talks about not making her blog private (and I'm so glad she doesn't. I think I would be very sad if she did!) because she doesn't want to live in fear. For some reason, that simple statement about a blog really gave me some perspective. Yes, I could worry until my stomach burned to cinders and yes, I could hide under some foolish words saying that I might as well be afraid since this is the way the world is going;but I won't. There are so many good things in this world. It's not a perfect world and unfortunately, we have to take the bad with the good. The secret is to not let the bad take you. I can read about millions of people losing their jobs and worry about mine. I won't. I'll be grateful that I can get up every morning, get ready and head off to my job. I'll even be grateful that I have to drive through blizzards, like I did this morning. I can read about people losing loved ones and worry about mine. I won't. I'll look at my wonderful husband and be grateful for his eternal companionship and the fact that he is my best friend. I'll be grateful when I call my sisters and parents that I can talk to them and feel their amazing spirit and know that we are bound eternally.

When I read those stories, my heart will ache for those who have suffered a loss of some kind, because we all have had to deal with losses at some point in our lives. But I will also have the hope that those people will move on and be stronger. It's rare that you hear of anyone just giving in to despair (although, it happens). I will have hope and joy in my life despite the angry and terrible things that are going on around me.

There is a reason for all of this hope. It is because I know that Jesus is the Christ. I know that He has overcome this world. He is the Life and the Light. It is my goal and my choice to become as He is. I will strive for that every day of my life.

It's funny how a simple thing like that woman's blog has provoked so much feeling from me. I'm grateful for that though. There is great power in simplicity.

8 comments:

Kellie said...

Great post. I agree, although I still have a hard time not getting a little worried sometimes. I really don't want to go private for the same reason. I have tried to be more careful of what I post, though. I saw how someone found my blog through a google search and it kind of freaked me out what exactly they googled and that it gave them my blog.

Slater Blog said...

Thank you for your strong testimony. This is definetly a hard world to live in, but He never said it would be easy, He said it would be worth it, right? I know we are so lucky to live in the time that we do, of course it is hard, but when in anyone's life has it ever been a breeze? Everyone goes through trials, and though there might be more and more trials and harder ones to deal with, we were sent to this earth at this time for a reason and it will make us all so much stronger. We just have to be optimistic and do as our Savior would have us do.
Thank you again for your strong words and testimony. :)

Kristin said...

Can I just say to Ryan that you married a wonderful woman:) Good thoughts Kristy!

Shontel & Kamron said...

I saw you Nie Nie button. I love reading her blog. Everytime I read it I have such a great feeling! Oh we miss you so much! Hope everything is going well!!!

Slater Blog said...

Hey - not sure if you knew this but your blog background is just a blue screen. This happened to me too and I didn't realize it until my sister told me. It ended up that I had too many spaces on my link. It was fine when I pulled it up, but to others the background wasn't coming up so you may not even know because it looks ok to you. Thought you might like to know.

The Powell-Mirci Family! said...

Thanks I needed that :)

Slater Blog said...

OK, the blue looks good too. There are new backgrounds that my sister found, look at my blog and find the link in the upper left corner. BTW - I can't believe you remembered that nick name. That just made me laugh when I read that. I haven't been called that in so long. Oh, memories....

Marilyn said...

Thank you for your beautiful post. It is so true that there are countless things to worry about. But... we just need to be grateful and thank God for what we have each and every day.