Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Would you like some bubble gum?

Something funny happened today, well two things really. If you don't think they're funny, that's ok, they were funny to me. :) It really doesn't take much for me to laugh. Anywho, I was on my way to the post office today to drop off some letters for work. There was a young man running on the sidewalk. He was all decked out with hat, scarf, running shoes and of course iPod. I was thinking this man is very dedicated to be running in such conditions. There was about four feet of snow piled on either side of the sidewalk and it was snowing just a little bit. I passed him up and about a minute later, stopped at a stop light. Now, if you have ever stopped at stop light in Cleveland before, you know how unbearably long they are. So I was sitting there listening to my Harry Potter on tape, watching the snowflakes lightly falling on my windshield, when I saw some movement out of the corner of my eye. I looked over and saw the same young man that I had noticed running just a moment ago. Only he was no longer running. He was gliding. And that's just a fancy way of saying he was slipping...for a really long time. His arms resembled windmills and his face was that of pure terror...and he just kept sliding, sliding, sliding past my window. I thought for sure he was going to face plant it right there on the sidewalk, which obviously was his thought by the look on his face. Suddenly he turned slightly and fell right into a pile of nice fluffy snow. He quickly jumped to his feet and with a look of sheer relief,brushed himself off and started running again. I know this was situational, but the funny thing about this story was the look on his face. Going from pure terror to relaxed relief in one second was priceless. I really wish I had a camera. And I'm glad he was able to continue his run...unless he found another long patch of ice.

I get to the post office, after waiting at another long light, and then I wait in a long line. It's finally my turn. The cashier was a very pleasant, older gentleman. He was funny and helpful. I noticed some weird things about him though. He had long fingernails. They weren't painted or anything, just long and yellowing a little. That kind of grossed me out. But I looked past that; he was nice. *You can stop reading here if you are weak stomached* This nice man turned his head to talk to his co-worker and I noticed something that was behind his earlobe. I looked again and realized...he had stuck his bubble gum behind his ear! I've only ever read about things like that. I chuckled to myself a bit and quickly got out of there completely grossed out. I guess we all have our weird things, eh?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am having flash backs to Violet in the movie Willy Wonka. Do you think he picked up that helpful hint from the movie?

Kellie said...

Oh my gosh, that's so funny! When I was at Ricks I would slide and fall all the time, but I wasn't ever running at the time. I'm too lazy for that. And the bubble gum thing--ew!

Slater Blog said...

Gross, he must have a very funny personality.

Baker Family said...

So good to hear from you! My goodness I did not even know you got married. Congrats a couple years later:) I look forward to reading more of your blog to see what you have been up to. Isn't this blog thing great, it helps us keep in touch.
Angie

This is Us! said...

You paint the picture of that runner sliding so well! I can totally picture the terror in his face. ha ha ha ha ha! I've never heard of bubble gum in the ear. That's....interesting!

Pace's said...

You can't make fun of it until you try it. I can honestly say that I have put gum behind me ear once or twice in my life. It is a good place to put it if you want to eat something else and have no where else to put the gum. I was wondering if he put it there before his shift or if he chews on it between customers. He probably touched your letters with his gum-saliva covered fingers and ear!