Friday, November 20, 2009

Nine Years Ago Today


Nine years ago November 20, 2000 was a Monday. I remember that day as vividly as if it were yesterday. My sisters and I were sitting at the kitchen table. Shawna and I were both doing homework and Kelly was just sitting with us. My brother Scott was lying on the sofa in the living room. My mother was running around fervently and tenderly caring for Scott's every need. It was an uncommonly quiet night. There was a feeling of sadness. My sisters and I spoke every now and then in hushed voices, as if we all knew somehow that tonight would be the night. Shawna, like she always is, was a happy light in all of the gloom. I don't know how she does it. But I'm so grateful for it, just as I was then. Her and her husband Scott left for home. Kelly and I went into the living room to be with Scott. I could see that he was suffering. I couldn't bear it. I prayed and asked Heavenly Father to please help him, to end his suffering. My mother was fluffing pillows, putting a clean shirt on my brothers small frame and holding his hand. Oh my mother! How I love her. How I admire her strength. The next moments are too spiritual and dear to my heart to share, but I can tell you there was nothing gloomy and tragic about Scott's passing. The roots of my testimony grew deeper and stronger than they ever have in my life. I can not deny the existence of my Savior Jesus Christ. Our family has always been tight knit, but now it is solid as stone.

I am thankful for my brother Scott. His thirteen years on this earth were full. He is as funny and goofy as my dad. Whenever he was in my car with me and would pass by some missionaries he would almost fall out the car window waving to them. He was so excited to serve a mission. I know he is serving one now. He would spend a long time doing his hair and he always made sure his clothes matched. I guess that's what happens when you're the only boy and have three older sisters. But he also liked playing sports and doing anything outdoors. He would shoot the starlings in our yard with his bee-bee gun. And once he and I made the coolest snow fort.

He battled Leukemia bravely for two years. He matured so much during that time. It was amazing to me. I love how he kept anything anyone gave him. Friends, family, ward members, his hospital room was always flooded with visitors and they would always bring him stuff. I am so thankful for those people. I asked him once why he didn't eat any of the candy he got and he told me that it meant too much to him to eat it. He kept everything!

I feel peaceful today because I know where he is and I know I will see him again. I am thankful for eternal families. So thankful!

(Shawna and my little bro, Scott. Isn't he cute? :))

9 comments:

Timmy said...

Kristy, I love you, all of you! It's been a day, hasn't it? Time moves so quickly. I miss him, a lot, but you're right, he's in a much better place, and he's doing what he always wanted to do, of that I'm sure. I hope everything is well with you, and your family!

Brittney said...

Kristy, thanks for sharing that. Brent and I were both thinking that we were suprised that it has been 9 years. We both remember when it happened. You have an amazing family, and I know that it is such a blessing to be so close to them. I love you, and I am glad that FAMILIES ARE FOREVER and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever.......

Shawny said...

That was beautiful Kristy! I'm sure you miss your brother so much but it's so wonderful that you will be able to see him again. I'm very sure he is one awesome missionary right now!

This is Us! said...

Kristy, what a beautiful post. You've got me in tears:-) I'm so grateful for your family and for their strength; for YOUR strength! Scott is missed every day, but how glorious to know that he's really not so far!!!

{M}PG said...

I never knew. That was a very sweet post. Hope you guys are doing good.

Mandi@TidbitsfromtheTremaynes said...

I didn't know any of that, Kristy-- I'm soo sorry. You must have a very strong family to get through something so hard.

Slater Blog said...

Kristy,
Thank you for your post. You are such a strong person and have such a strong testimony. It's amazing how things like this will bring you closer to the Lord, but at the same time it can make people go further from the Lord. I'm glad I have the testimony as you do of knowing we will be with our brothers again someday. I imagine Scott was there with Tyler to help him there in Heaven and show him how things work. I know Scott is for sure a great missionary. You know he was so good that the Lord couldn't have him gone too long because he was needed in heaven. His strong spirit was needed for an early mission so I imagine he is a wonderful missionary now, and is being that great missionary to Tyler now. How I miss my brother, but am so happy to know he is with a great friend through mortality and immoratality. Love you.

Julie Carlile said...

I remember that day. I can't believe it was 9 years as well. I see so much of you in his smile. I am so grateful for our friendship and our connection with a loved one passing from Leukemia. You are a wonderful friend and I sure love you. Can't wait to see you in a month :)

Danielle said...

Ah Kristy, I didn't remember that it was so close to Thanksgiving. I can't believe it has been nine years. I remember when he passed. I was so sad for you. I only met your brother a few times, but I remember how close you were to him and what a cute kid he was. You are such an amazing person. Thank you for sharing that.