
Ryan and I had not one plan when the weekend came. We sat and looked at each other and kept asking each other "So what you wanna do?", until we were driven crazy. It was a rainy Friday night, so we had to do something indoors. We wanted to do something that we'd never done before. We heard that the art museum at Case was very good, so we finally decided to go there. There is a special exhibit called "Artistic Luxury" which featured sculptures, vases, jewelry, and more. Each piece was done with either precious gems, glass, ivory, gold, silver, and enamel. Or all of them at once. It was fantastic. The pieces were done by Faberge (he did the famous easter eggs which were beautiful!), Tiffany and Co., and Lalique. They dated back to 1900 and late 1800's. We had so much fun. We were so amazed at the jewelry and sculptures. I couldn't believe how much gold and silver they used. There was a vanity table with a chair and the whole thing was made of silver, except the cushion on the chair and the mirror of course. One piece, entitled "The Holy Grail", was one of the most elaborate. It was made of gold and stood at least two feet tall. It had so many different jewels and was so decorated, that at first it was hard to tell that it was a goblet at all. In the middle of the handle was set a HUGE diamond. Easily over 40 karrats. We couldn't take pictures of it, and we couldn't find any on line. But we found some pictures of pieces that were featured there. This is

a chalice that stands about two feet and that is made out of about 23 pounds of gold. Ryan figured it to be worth about $375,000 if you melted down the gold.

That isn't including the jewels and artistic value. The Holy Grail goblet was much bigger and more decorated than this, just to give you and idea. This necklace was made by Tiffany and Co. Made circa 1900. The one on the right is a hair comb. The leaves are gold and inlaid with diamonds, the comb is turtle shell and the flower is carved ivory. It was also made by Tiffany and Co. and was dated circa 1900. We saw so many neat and priceless things. There was a glass bowl from 100 AD. I

was amazed it had survived so long. We wanted to stay there all night, but we went before dinner and we were getting hungry. We went to Little Italy to this place called Valentino's and had the best meatball sandwich ever. It was a fun night. Saturday we hung out with Diane and Joe and that was fun, as it always is. Today was stake conference and (please don't judge), we didn't go. Instead we slept in and relaxed a little. We went to another park and took a walk and I tried my photography skills again. So here are some pictures I

took at the Beachwood Park. I love Cleveland. It

Rocks!
3 comments:
Wow, I am so there.
I know don't you just love him!! Well we love your family too! and we miss you so much. I can't believe how beautiful it is there. you are so lucky. you are becoming quite the photographer!:)
Kris, you are so sweet! Those pieces are amazing! I can't believe how much gold and gems went into them. I love your pictures, btw, especially the tree with the red berries.
Post a Comment